Saturday, September 29, 2018

The (On the Road) Daily - Friday, September 28, 2018

Writing Challenge- Day #30

The firt day of the On-the-Road experiment was a resounding success and an absolute blast. It actually started Thursday evening as I drove from home toward my ultimate destination (Mountain City, TN) for the 12-hour BooneDoggle Contra Dance held yearly there. My plan was to stop for the night in Lincolnton, NC. I chose Lincolnton because it was exactly halfway between home and my destination, and because there was a Walmart and Lowe's right off the highway.

The drive started with a scary thunderstorm that produced dangerous amounts of rain. Fortunately, that stopped after just 20 minutes or so, and the rest of the drive was uneventful. It was unusually quiet on the road, with very few vehicles anywhere. Maybe Thursday nights are quiet nights for travelling.

I arrived in Lincolnton and chose to park at the Walmart location. I went in, bought some groceries and came across some awesome deals I could not pass. The deals turned out to be more amazing when they worked out better than planned for a vehicle project I am working on. And then I settled for the night, the first night sleeping in the car using sleeping mats (similar to Yoga mats, but thicker). I was able to stretch fully and fell fairly comfortable. The parking lot was quiet until around 4 AM when someone driving on a near-by road starting yelling obscenities and acting up. That was disconcerting because I did not know if they were heading my way or away. Fortunately, it was the latter. That was a good lesson about parking in these lots: be aware of how close to a road you are.

I was up and about by 4:30 and headed to a park I had spotted on the map that had what appeared as a nice trail I could use for jogging. I got there around 5 AM and the park gate was open although the posted hours were 8 AM - 10 PM. I proceeded to jog for 2 miles around the various parking lots inside the park. And then I headed out, back on the road, ready for a great day of volunteering to bring the BooneDoggle dance together. The day was a nice mixture of helping with dance tasks and working on re-packing the car to incorporate that morning's Lincolnton purchases. The window sun shades I bought for $4 and $5 fit perfectly to provide privacy at night and sun shielding in the day. The only fitting problem was with the front windows, and I will need to work on that at some point. By 8 PM I was ready for some sleep; the combination of hard work and little sleep the night before took its toll.

HEALTH & FITNESS

I was delighted with fitness and nutrition for the first day of the on-the-road adventure. I did some body strength training before jogging in the morning, then logged 2 miles, and then the rest of the day was super busy and I walked and lifted and pounded enough to make it a very good activity day. I logged 9367 steps and walked/jogged 3.8 miles.

Nutrition was good, with a nice mix of fruits and veggies along with a protein shake and chili for dinner.

GOALS, DREAMS, HABITS, RITUALS

This was a perfect example of having a dream or goal, and breaking it up into smaller portions to move forward with its attainment. The dream, of which I will write about later, requires being able to live out of a car for extended periods of time. Today was a perfect opportunity to learn lessons that will allow that to happen.

STREAKS - For the record (updated)

Current list of streaks:
  • Writing: day 30
  • Blood Pressure Readings: day 16 (exempted from reading because of road trip)
  • Logging to SparkPeople: day 0 (missed logging in during the trip)
  • Daily Exercise Routine: not counting for now
    • Cardio: Yes (jogging in the morning, lots of walking all day)
    • Yoga: Not really
    • Strength Training: lots of lifting and pounding, so yes
    • Stretching: Yes
    • Meditation: Yes
  • Meditation: day 17
  • Number of tabs open: day 13

No comments: