Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The Daily - Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Writing Challenge- Day #21

HEALTH & FITNESS

I had a super fun jog this morning, logging 2.47 miles in 44 minutes. I used Podrunner's "140 BPM - Superconductor." My strategy this week is to vary my pace everyday aiming to increase my speed a little over time. For the month of September I want to at least be able to jog at around 145 BPM once or twice. In October I want to inch up a little, maybe as fast as 150 BPM. I am actually not too hung up on the actual number as long as I keep making progress and, most importantly, remain injury and pain free.

GOALS, DREAMS, HABITS, RITUALS

The multi-factor approach to fitness metrics (having four requirements that need to be met in order to qualify for a "successful day") may not be working the way I had intended. This is not a surprise. Growing in anything we do means making adjustments. Life is like one big project made of a myriad of smaller projects; when we follow the project management cycle (plan, implement, measure/ review, adjust) we can ensure success in whatever we try.

Project management cycle: plan-do-check-act
Project Management Cycle: Plan-Do-Check-Act (Source)

My biggest challenge has been missing weight training. It appears I may want to split the four into individual action items and once all four, separately, are achieved, then the goal will be achieved. As I pondered this point I realized that there may be an elegant solution to this: Yoga. Having a daily or regular Yoga practice can help us achieve balance in all four areas I have listed. When I practice Yoga regularly my running also improves. So that is my new fitness goal: at least 10-15 minutes of Yoga everyday.

Here is the Yoga routine I will start tomorrow morning.


For those of you that think Yoga is not something they can do, please watch this short video:



Yoga is something best started with a teacher. A teacher will take care of you, the whole you: the physical you, the mental you, the emotional you, the spiritual you. There is a difference, sometimes a huge difference, between a teacher and an instructor. The latter usually deals with form and technique but may be unable to help with the other aspects of a Yoga practice. Once you learn the basics from a teacher, then you can work with instructors or even videos. I was truly blessed to have started my Yoga practice with an amazing teacher; her name is Juliet Hewitt. There is not a time that I step on my mat that she is not present even if she is not physically there. So, find yourself a teacher, learn the basics, and then take it from there. As Juliet always says, start from where you are right now.


PERSONAL GROWTH

Clutter is a sign of trouble. If we look around, clutter is all around us. For many, it is in our homes, our offices, our cars. Clutter has become a huge industry in the USA. All we have to do is look at all the self-storage businesses opening in almost every neighborhood, or the incredible growth of thrift store chains like Goodwill. Look at this video and you can get a glimpse of the problem.


Soon I will share a bit of the purging I have done at home.

TIPS & TRICKS

The nice hand-written to-do lists I wrote about a few days ago have matured a bit. I moved to a digital version using the "Notes" app on my iPhone. The main advantage I see is the time saving from not having to re-write things left to do at the end of the day. The disadvantage, as I have experienced in the past, is a significant disconnect with the list; it is easier to forget to check the list as often once it is in digital form. Having handwritten notes makes the connection with your brain a lot stronger. However, using digital notes can be just as effective with some discipline. Whichever you choose, having a daily to-do list is a definite must for improved productivity (at least for the majority of us).

PODCASTS / VIDEOS

Chi Running is a running methodology designed to eliminate injuries and improve anybody's running efficiency. I have read parts of the book and love the concept. Here is a video explaining the basics of Chi Running.


INTERESTING TIDBITS

Not all cookware is safe to use. Here is a video about some popular but not so safe items we may have in our kitchens.



STREAKS - For the record

Current list of streaks:
  • Writing: day 21
  • Blood Pressure Readings: day 8 (down to 111/71)
  • Logging to SparkPeople: day 11
  • Daily Exercise Routine: day 0
    • Cardio: Yes (2.47 miles in 44 minutes)
    • Strength Training: No (see above)
    • Stretching: Yes
    • Meditation: Yes
  • Meditation: day 8
  • Number of tabs open: day 4 (still working on this — today was more of a challenge than in days 1-3, but it is definitely better)

No comments: