Friday, September 21, 2018

The Daily - Friday, September 21, 2018

Writing Challenge- Day #23

FLORENCE

Industrialized animal farming: cruel and environmentally unhealthy.
Industrialized animal farming: cruel and environmentally unhealthy.

The effects of Florence continue. Many communities are still dealing with flooding issues. One of the latest threats: water contamination. Much of the danger is coming from large industrial farms that lost thousands of animals and unknown amounts of chemicals in the floods. Decomposition of the animal bodies, plus all the animal waste they produce, are beginning to pose real risk to human health. This is one more example of why industrial farming is a bad idea. Not only is it cruel to the animals, it is bad for the environment and our health. There is a point where cheap food is not really cheap; we crossed that point a long time ago.

HEALTH & FITNESS

Another great jog this morning for 2.12 miles in 38 minutes using Podrunner's "139 BPM - Sudden Summer". I am slowly increasing the pace of my jogs, and it feels great. Sadly, I had to sacrifice my morning Yoga routine due to a late start to the day. Sometimes we have to make tough choices. I had he feeling that today was going to be a very difficult day time wise, so this was the best choice for the day. Tomorrow will be another opportunity to step on the mat and practice.

FINANCES

This will be a really bad month for my budget. I have clearly over-spent in areas I had budgeted nothing for. And I have not even entered data into "EveryDollar" to account for all the expenses incurred this month. There was a certain urgency to some of the things I bought because of an upcoming short trip next week. However, I think I could have managed things differently. And there are some expenses I absolutely did not have to make, like another pair of Zoots running shoes. Alright, I am running everyday. And, yes, the Zoots are super comfortable. And the price was amazing on eBay (70% off!). But it is also true that I did not need them (I think I have enough running shoes for at least a few years). Awareness is a great first step to gaining control — I hope.

TIPS & TRICKS

A few months ago I came across a nice formula for creating toilet tablets to help clean the toilet bowl. It seemed simple enough to make (reference article). I bought the ingredients and went right at it. The first batch … well, you can see from the picture that the first batch did not quite work as planned; too much moisture (as warned in the article). The second batch (left) was much better. And I can tell you that these things are great help in cleaning toilets. Drop one, wait until the fizzle is almost done, and then lightly scrub the toilet bowl.  Just don't add too much moisture to the mix. Perhaps 3-5 squirts maximum would do the trick. However, if your first batch looks like my first batch, don't throw it out. Brake it apart and use the oddly shaped pieces as if they were nicely cubed formations. They work pretty well.

Toilet tablet experiment; batch 1 (right) not so good.
Toilet tablet experiment; batch 1 (right) not so good.

PODCASTS / VIDEOS

I am passionate about bowling. I have been bowling since I was 15 and became a decent bowler in my 30s. I still enjoy weekly league competition/ And it is great to see that older bowlers are still magical on the lanes. Just watch these guys roll 220+ games consistently. They are a great inspiration.


INTERESTING TIDBITS

Do you struggle with the ends of packing and duct tape? Struggle no more! A co-worker showed me how to make it easy to re-use any type of tape: a paper clip! Using a paper clip at the end of the role makes it easy to use the tape again.

A paper clip at the end of any tape for easy re-use.
A paper clip at the end of any tape for easy re-use.

STREAKS - For the record

Current list of streaks:
  • Writing: day 23
  • Blood Pressure Readings: day 10
  • Logging to SparkPeople: day 13
  • Daily Exercise Routine: not counting for now
    • Cardio: Yes (2.12 miles in 38 minutes)
    • Yoga: No
    • Strength Training: No
    • Stretching: Yes, very light stretching during the day
    • Meditation: Yes (10 minutes in the morning
  • Meditation: day 10
  • Number of tabs open: day 6

No comments: