Monday, September 24, 2018

The Daily - Monday, September 24, 2018

Writing Challenge- Day #26

HEALTH & FITNESS

A nice jog this morning (albeit later than normal) for 2.26 miles in 40 minutes to the great Podrunner track called "137 BPM - Paced Out." For the record, I do not profit from any of you using Podrunner's mixes; I donate to Podrunner on a monthly basis and I hope others will enjoy the tracks and also help Steve continue offering these great workout mixes.

My blood pressure was amazing again today. I pulled 109/68 this evening. Jogging, meditation and Yoga are working!

Today was a better day for nutrition.

GOALS, DREAMS, HABITS, RITUALS

During Saturday and Sunday I navigated the days without a to-do list. That was frustrating because I know I can accomplish so much more when I do have a list to help me along my crazy days. In reflecting on this, I realized that the biggest stumbling block was to create the initial list with all the daily items in it. Last night I decided to create a list for each day of this week. That should help me get over that roadblock. Indeed, it worked quite well this morning and I feel much better about all the things I can accomplish today.

The one drawback of creating future to-do lists is that if something drastic changes in your "master list" then you either have to update a bunch of daily lists or re-do them from scratch. However, that is a small price to pay for being organized and more in control of your day. I suggest limiting the list creation to one week at a time. This would also allow us to apply Dr. Covey's planning strategies and put first things first and start with the end in mind. What do we want to accomplish in the week ahead? Let's plan those "big rocks" before all the smaller rocks take space in our mind and schedule.

PERSONAL GROWTH

Enjoy this video on the "AMRAP Mentality." I think there is much value in what the video advocates (warning: there is a commercial for "Chegg" studying services near the end of the video.)


TIPS & TRICKS

If you need some help implementing the AMRAP strategy detailed above, consider using the Pomodoro Technique (and, yes, there is an app for that). The Pomodoro Technique helps you focus for 25 minutes on one task, and then nudges you to take breaks at regular intervals. This time management approach instills the AMRAP philosophy because during the work periods you go all out at whatever the task is, avoiding all distractions (telephone, email, etc.). I have successfully used this technique for decades.

STREAKS - For the record

Current list of streaks:
  • Writing: day 26
  • Blood Pressure Readings: day 13 (amazingly nice numbers: 109/68)
  • Logging to SparkPeople: day 16
  • Daily Exercise Routine: not counting for now
    • Cardio: Yes, nice 2.2.6 miles in 40 minutes
    • Yoga: short routine in the morning
    • Strength Training: No
    • Stretching: Yes
    • Meditation: Yes
  • Meditation: day 13
  • Number of tabs open: day 9

No comments: