Sunday, March 08, 2009

Measure Progress Without the Scale

It is so very true: weight loss is not always measured in pounds on a scale:

Measure Progress Without the Scale
Losing weight usually involves a relatively simple calorie equation: burn off more calories with daily activity than you consume through food. So what happens when these numbers indicate progress, but the scale doesn’t? Before the aggravation sets in, consider why this might be the case. If you’ve been hitting the gym on a regular basis, participating in both cardiovascular and strengthening exercises, then chances are good that you have shed some fat. But the scale might not indicate this because you have also been building lean muscle. Since muscle is dense (a small volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat), the scale might not reflect your hard work.

My favorite effects from being healthier: feeling better and having more energy -- a lot of both! Just an example: today I attended a soccer camp for coaches. I was able to keep up with the 18-30 year old crowd. Despite the hot weather, I was not worn out at all. Before I started working out I would have headed straight for home and a nap. Today, I just felt great being out in the sun playing soccer with other coaches. I love being healthier and working toward my goal!

Pounds lost: 34
Pounds left: 26


No comments: