Sunday, August 22, 2004

Saturday Happenings

Well, what started as a relatively uneventful Saturday turned out ot be a fairly busy evening.

But, I will start by getting on my soap box and expressing my opinion on something I read today:

Olympic Boycott

I am boycotting the Olympic games as long as they condone censorship of this kind:

The Olympics are underway in Athens, Greece, but arriving spectators are finding they have to follow as many rules as the athletes. No carrying bombs, guns or knives. No oversized banners, umbrellas or excess pocket change. No Pepsi, unless the label is removed, since Coke is an official sponsor. And there are rules against wearing clothing "bearing the insignia of competitors of the sponsors." The so-called "clean venue policy" rules "protect official sponsors who have paid millions to make the Olympics happen," said an Olympic spokesman. (London Times, AFP) ...A policy that in the future will be known as "The Olympic Spirit".


The source of this information is the weekly This Is True ezine. I encourage anyone to check this publication and to subscribe to either the free or premium versions!

As you can imagine, I was livid when I read this information. It is absolutely absurd to prohibit an spectator from wearing an item that has a logo they do not like or drink a soda that is not from an official sponsor.

Tracey disagrees with me on this one.

{This is me getting off my soap box}

Short Evening Out for the "Boys"

I needed to run some errands (go see my Mom and then help our friends Bill and Jerry with a computer problem) that would take me to the opposite side of town. I thought it would be nice to take Noah with me, sort of a boys evening out. Once we started driving he began acting as he was very tired (not unusual for him at that time of the evening). I thought he would nap a little on the way to my Mom's and would be alright for the rest of the evening. When we got there he needed to use the bathroom -- and when he came out he was crying and asking to go home. So we started for home and then he said he was OK and wanted to go to Mr. Bill and Ms. Jerry's -- so I started driving toward our friends' house. Noah then changed his mind, telling me that he was tired and wanted his bed. I called Tracey to let her know and asked her to call our friends. I changed courses again and headed toward home. A few minutes later, just as we began driving on a very busy interstate, Noah got sick to his stomach. I finally was able to pull to the side and helped him get out of the car, got him undressed (he got to wear my shirt for cover), and headed home. The drive home was unsettling because I was worried about him, but he seemed OK (tired from vomiting, but OK otherwise). Once we got home he was given a bath and went to bed. I proceeded to clean the car, car seats, and clothes. Ah! Got to love being a parent! I would not trade my kids! It was past 10 PM by the time I finished with cleaning and stuff. Noah woke up this morning feeling fine, cheerful and playful as usual!

No comments: