Monday, October 01, 2018

The Daily - Monday, October 1, 2018

Today was a day of some work, some resting, and beautiful parenting.

I am dealing with a cold, one I felt creeping up last Thursday and did not take care of right away. As if often happens, a long dance event tends to deplete one's immune system, so by Saturday night (and definitely Sunday morning), the cold had developed fully, with a bothersome running nose and copious sneezing. I ended up staying home and working in the morning, and then I slept all afternoon. That was quite helpful.

And then MacKenzie and I had a great father-daughter time. We drove to Sumter to look at a used car that a co-worker is selling. We took it for a long spin and it turns out to be in excellent shape. It is a great 2001 Honda Accord Coupe with almost 190000. The current owner has agreed to take it to his mechanic for a full inspection. I will begin the process of getting a loan and insurance. Hopefully MacKenzie will be licensed and independent by November 1. She has been incredibly patient during this process and deserves an early high school graduation present.

HEALTH & FITNESS

Despite the cold I am dealing with, I managed to log 2.1 (slow) miles. I had to endure pain on my right hip flexor several times during the jog, but stretching it out seemed to help. Going up hill seemed to make it flare up and hurt so much that I had to stop. But I made it through and that is waht matters.

Today's run involved a brand new pair of Zoot Run shoes; this is the first pair of their "Sport" model that I have tried. They feel a bit tight and not as comfortable as the other Zoot shoes I have purchased, but this may be a combination of all the barefoot dancing from Saturday. I will try the Zoot Run again in a few days and see if they feel better.

GOALS, DREAMS, HABITS, RITUALS

Working on new rituals over the last few weeks has really paid off. For example, without an alarm clock I was up by 4:15 and out the door before 4:45 AM, a full 30 minutes ahead of schedule. This allowed me to handle the painful moments during the jog, and also the sneezing and low energy that came from having a cold.

The new rituals, now well ingrained, have turned into new habits. I no longer need to use the check list from my to-do list as much to get all those things done. They are becoming second-nature to me. This is the beauty and power of working on new rituals — they become new habits that help support our goals and dreams.

PERSONAL GROWTH

I was listening to the "Motivational Mornings" podcast in which they reviewed a book called "The Miracle Morning" by Hal Elrod. In the book there is a acronym for six things to do every morning to boost your productivity and improve everything you do: SAVERS

S = Silence (meditation, relaxation, peace)
A = Affirmations
V = Visualization
E = Exercise
R = Reading
S = Scribing (or Scribbing or Scribbling)

I plan on implementing this strategy to impact my future success. I already do the first S and the E. For the next few days I will add the "A" to my rituals. Immediately after my morning meditation, I will use power affirmations to help me achieve my goals and dreams. After a few days I will add the "V" to my rituals. This should be fun!

One of the key concepts highlighted in the podcast is that we need to focus on what we need to become in order to achieve our goals or dreams. In order to change the exterior world we must change the interior world. Only through change will we grow and improve.

Here is a great video that nicely summarizes "The Miracle Morning" concepts.



FINANCES

September was a bad month on the expenses side. I have yet to catch up with entering data for the month. This will be done (hopefully by Wednesday).

POLITICS

In listening to the New York Times "Daily" podcast, I was moved by the powerful statements from two women, two victims of sexual assault that confronted Sen. Flake as he was leaving his office. The pain in their voice, their powerful words, and their moving stories may change this country in ways they may have never imagined. Perhaps it is time for all of us to look at our representatives and demand that they "Don't look away, look at me when I am talking to you" and hold them responsible for their actions. Sen. Flake was moved to do the right thing and he acted with integrity as he rallied senators from both parties so that a FBI investigation would be required in this matter. I am not sure if the investigation will result in Judge Kavanaugh's rejection from the Supreme Court job. Having the investigation is, in itself, a victory. It is one more win in the struggle to integrate women's rights into all aspects of life. It is not enough to have the right to vote. Women must have the right to feel safe everywhere, to make as much money as their male counterparts, to be treated fairly in all circumstances. The chauvinistic mentality is obsolete and must be eliminated and replaced with humanistic principles that will allow us to grow together, in cooperation and not competition.

FOCUS HABIT(S)

During the month of October I will focus on improving the following two habits:
  • Drinking 64+ oz of water: I probably enjoyed about 32-48 oz. today
  • Lubricating my eyes three times per day: two times today.

STREAKS - For the record

Current list of streaks:
  • Writing: day 33
  • Blood Pressure Readings: day 17
  • Logging to SparkPeople: day 1 (I missed logging in during the trip)
  • Daily Exercise Routine: 
    • Cardio: Yes (2.1 miles, 41 minutes)
    • Yoga: No
    • Strength Training: No
    • Stretching: Yes
    • Meditation: Yes
  • Meditation: day 20
  • Number of tabs open: day 16

No comments: