Tuesday, October 16, 2018

An Addicted Mind, An Aware Mind

A few weeks ago I went on a car camping trip. In preparation for the trip I looked at storage bins I could use for the trip and for future adventures. I was fortunate to have a variety of storage bins already and, after some cleaning, I had very adequate containers for this particular trip and, also, for future outings.

However, ever since then, my mind has been fixated on storage bins. Every time I go into a store I seem to gravitate to the storage bin isle and I spend a few minutes looking at the different bins to see if they would do what I want to do.

And then yesterday I became keenly aware of this obsession my mind is stuck in. I call it "The Addicted Mind." Consciously I know I have more than enough bins for any camping trip I may go to. Consciously I know I do not need to look for more storage bins. Consciously I know I do not need better or bigger bins. Consciously I know I do not need to buy any bins. And yet my mind drifts to the storage bins and wants to look at them anyway.

Becoming aware of this obsession re-opened for me the concept of "The Aware Mind." The Aware Mind is the part of us that is conscious and knows there is an unconscious part that is doing strange things, like obsessing over storage bins. Eckhart Tolle mentions both of these parts of us in all of his teachings. Other teachers throughout history, from Buddha to Jesus and beyond, have highlighted the importance of the aware mind.

My aware mind has caught my unconscious mind doing its thing many times. Examples include mindless thinking, wanting food immediately after having a full meal, wanting unhealthy food although I know it is unhelpful to my goals, wanting to buy more new running shoes even though I have six or eight brand new running shoes in the closet.

What is the best way to strengthen our Aware Mind? Meditation is the one tool that will help make our Aware Mind more capable of discerning when our unconscious mind is becoming an issue, when it is obsessing on something, when it is going to get us in trouble.

Meditation is simple. Take one deep, slow breath, and pay attention on how it feels for air to move in and out of your lungs; then, gently focus on your mind. Which mind is stronger at that point? The moment you do that, you have shifted control from your unconscious mind to your aware mind. In doing so, you are gaining control over your mind and over your life. It reminds me of the ancient story of the two wolves:
An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”
He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Which wolf (mind) are you feeding?

No comments: