Thursday, June 11, 2009

There is only now

I encourage you to read this:
My motivation has always come in waves. One month I'm completely dedicated to my health and the health of people around me. I live the way I've always wanted to live: wake up early, take the dogs for a walk, come home and make a healthy breakfast, do some chores around the house, make a nutritious lunch, play with my dogs, etc. It's those times when I'm at my best.

Then the wave ends and I'm suddenly dragging out of bed late in the morning, I drag myself to the kitchen and make the quickest, least nutritious, biggest breakfast I can come up with. I take my plate to the couch and eat everything (plus seconds) while watching TV. In a fried egg coma, I remain on the couch for most of the day and most of the night, sometimes not even getting up to shower! At the back of my mind I ask myself, is this how I want to spend the rest of my life? Unfortunately, when I'm deep in my fried egg coma, the answer is always a cop-out: I just have to deal with my guilt until the "healthy" wave picks me up again so I can ride it for as long as it will carry me. Of course, the healthy wave usually lasts about a month, tops, while my unhealthy wave lasts 3 months to a year!

This past weekend I got to thinking about my "healthy wave" and I suddenly realized that everything I did when I was soaring on my healthy wave was due to an obsession with the future. I would spend so much time thinking and planning for the future that I became overwhelmed by my own thoughts and eventually I would get to a point where I'd just tell myself ENOUGH! And I'd quit.

So I woke up Monday morning and decided that I would stop living in the future and start living TODAY! Yesterday was the first time I told myself this mantra. Yesterday was the first time I actually understood it, believed it and practiced it. TODAY I will make the best decisions I can make with what I eat and how I workout. Tomorrow's motivation is irrelevant. Tomorrow's motivation doesn't exist. It's all about TODAY.

Source: Tomorrow no longer exists for me (Page 18)

As humans, we continue to worry about yesterday and tomorrow, and we do not realize that "now" is made up of all our yesterdays and now is what tomorrow will be. If we focus on changing "now", on doing the best we can with "now", then tomorrow will be the best it can possibly be!

Coach Lou Holtz said that to WIN means to focus on "What's Important Now" — focus on "now" to win at anything!



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: