Monday, June 22, 2009

First 5K Race -- what a rush!

Saturday evening I participated in my first 5 K race. It was a great experience!

The event was the Candlelight Run in Greenville, SC. The kids, my friend Dwala, and I ran in the 1-mile Family Fun Run/Walk at 8 PM. It was very hot (upper 90s). I finished this event with a 9:20 (unofficial) time. Not too bad!

The 5K started at 9 PM. It was still fairly warm (mid-90s), but it had cooled down enough that it was tolerable. I lined up towards the rear 1/3 of the group because this was my first race and I know my time is not the greatest. Beginning the race was lots of fun -- and very hot with all these folks altogether! Once we made our first turn, we began to spread out and the heat dissipated some. Traffic (slower runners and walkers) became an issue a few times, but for the most part it was a great run. I kept a very steady pace throughout the run, slowing only once to get some water.

The end was funny (in a twisted sort of way). The Finish Line was on a downhill stretch. As I had learned from my friend Dimitra, as soon as I saw the Finish Line I pushed through as fast as I could. Surprisingly, I had plenty of steam left. But … I over-did it! I was going so fast that, on the last sensor at the line, I tripped, landed hard on my left shoulder, and skidded down the asphalt a few feet. I bet not too many runners slide into the finish line that way! :-) It was a baseball classic move!

My official time for the race was 35:48 (Gun Time) or 34:16 (Chip Time). I ranked 653 out of 819 male contestants. Considering the fairly long uphill terrain and the high temperature, I think that is a respectable time. Definitely something to work on to improve for future races.

I have to say that there is an incredible rush that comes from running a race. For the hour after finishing the event I definitely felt an adrenaline high that I had never experienced!

Now, looking to the future:

a) This week I need to recover from the fall and heal my shoulder; I will workout as much as I can with the aim of getting back to normal as quickly as possible.
b) I am going to increase my training to bring my 5K time down to 30 minutes.
c) I will probably enter a race in August (yes, I know, another hot temperature race!) and another one on Labor Day.
d) I want to run at least 3-5 5K events before training for an 8K race. I will then do 3-5 8K events before moving to a 10K race, etc.

What a rush being fit is!



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: