Monday, February 23, 2009

What is Spiritual Growth?

As of the beginning of this year, the kids and I have embarked in a new journey. We began attending service at the Columbia Zen Buddhist Priory. Why join a Buddhist church? First, but not foremost, was the fact that this was a decision Tracey and I had made informally before she was gravely ill. We both felt that Buddhism was the closest religion to our personal beliefs. And that second part was the predominant criteria for beginning the journey into Buddhism.

I felt it was important that both kids began learning about internal (spiritual) growth. I held back for almost two years because I thought they were too young to understand some of the concepts of religion and church. They had been exposed to Christianity through their friends and society as a whole (after all, we live in the Bible Belt). But this year I appraised their readiness and decided it was time for them to begin learning.

The following passage beautifully illustrates spiritual growth, regardless of what religion you follow:

Spiritual Growth
  1. I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I fall in.
    I am lost. I am hopeless.
    It isn't my fault.
    It takes forever to find a way out.

  2. I walk down the same street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I pretend I don't see it.
    I fall in again.
    I can't believe I'm in the same place again.
    But it isn't my fault.
    It still takes long time to get out.

  3. I walk down the same street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I see it is there.
    I still fall in -- it's a habit.
    My eyes are open,
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault.
    I get out immediately.

  4. I walk down the same street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I walk around it.

  5. I walk down another street.


No comments: