Sunday, January 11, 2009

One week - 9 pounds = great feeling!

Week one of the SparkPeople New YOU Boot Camp is over. I have lost nine pounds! I started the year at 256 and I am currently at 247. That may not seem like a lot, but it is. Putting it in perspective: at the start of 2008 I weighed 263 pounds. I did my best to "eat right." I walked every day with my dogs -- and I take them separately so as to double-up on my walking effort. At the end of 2008 I weighed 256. That is a total loss of seven pounds in one year.

In the last week I have made many discoveries that have expanded my field of vision concerning nutrition and fitness. Perhaps none of them were new to me, but they have become a new part of my daily routines. I had known that keeping track of what you ate was important, but I had never done it. Logging everything I eat has made me aware of my approximate calorie intake, and forced me to realize that some foods I considered "OK" or even "healthy" are really not. At least not if you are trying to lose weight.

I knew that exercising was important and I thought I was doing OK by walking the dogs in the morning. But seeing results with my weight loss and how I felt in general have given me the motivation to add to this routine. I know walk the dogs twice per day, and the afternoon walk now includes my two kids. This will help all of us (including the dogs) be healthier. For example, I have an old Black Lab (now 13 years old) with a hip problem. For the last year he was struggling a little to walk. Ever since we started walking more (and going for longer walks) his hip seems better and he is not limping at all! It is also helping with my own knee problem. My right knee has been killing me for the last three months. I attribute most of the pain to the excess weight, although there may be more to it than just that. However, the pain has subsided considerably ever since I started exercising daily.

I have known that drinking water was good for you. I just broke away from the habit of drinking at least eight servings daily. I am back on it, and then some. Last Friday it was all I took in as I successfully fasted for the first time in my life.

I have blogged before but never as consistently as I have been due to the SparkTeam goals. And "unloading" my thoughts daily has been a great way of ending everyday. Please feel free to visit SparkPeople blog and my SparkPeople page.

I truly believe SparkPeople has been key to my success thus far, and I cannot tell you how grateful I am to Chris, to Nicole and the other coaches, to the SparkPeople staff, and to the SparkPeople community, for making this site possible. You are all a blessing in my life.

No comments: