Friday, December 29, 2006

Tracey's Update: Friday, December 29, 2006

Friday came and went with Tracey still in the hospital. Dr. Madden is concerned with her headaches and nausea, so he is keeping her in the hospital until she is more settled down. She was able to keep more food down -- a good sign. But her body is very weak and she could not walk out of the hospital even if they would allow it.

Two of my co-workers came to visit her after lunch. She was very talkative and she was fairly sharp despite the medications. Shortly after their departure she appeared spent -- the effort of keeping a resemblance of normalcy in front of my friends was exhausting and her words got a bit harder to understand and her headache intensified. Around 3 PM the nurse administered a set of meds (including some for pain) and she was ready for some sleep.

Jenny and I returned in the evening. Tracey was somewhat coherent, but many common words just would not come to her. She appeared very anxious, restless and unhappy. I look into her eyes and see so much confusion, fear -- is there some fight in those eyes? I often think so -- sometimes I wonder. This evening I saw none -- maybe it is a small break to regain her strength.

No comments: