Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Pictures of Reality

I am looking at a picture and I think there is something wrong with it. Maybe my eyes are suffering from old-age syndrome, or maybe I am actually seeing a severe distortion in reality. The US Congress was recently considering passing S.1955, a bill that, amongst its many hidden items, contained language that would allow insurance companies to eliminate coverage for preventive tests such as mammograms. The language was clearly focused on eliminating coverage for examinations that can detect and minimize the effects of cancer. Fortunately, S.1955 was defeated thanks to the efforts of the American Cancer Society and many other organizations that saw the destructive effects of this bill. I am sure insurance companies will try again, burying language in another bill just like S.1955, and they may eventually get their way. After all, they have the deep pockets that can buy support in Washington.

No comments: