Thursday, May 04, 2006

MacKenzie's Dress Code

When it is a bit cool outside, there is no sense wearing a shirt under your jacket -- is there?

Not according to MacK. Last Tuesday, just as we were ready to head out the door to go to school , she was told that it was a bit nippy and to put a jacket on. So she went back to her room and came out a moment later with her jacket on. Off we went to school without much else to comment about.

As Tracey picks the kids, she sees MacK wearing a school t-shirt. She asks her why she is wearing that. Here is the approximate conversation:

MacK: Because I did not have another shirt to wear.
Tracey: What are you talking about?

Tracey (talking with teacher and MacK):
Tracey: What happened this morning?
Teacher: When MacKenzie arrived in class I asked her to take her jacket off and hang it on the hook. She said:
   MacK: "Ma'am, I can't do that because I don't have a shirt under my jacket. I was told to wear a jacket because it was cool outside."
   Teacher: "Quit fooling around MacKenzie and hang your coat."
   MacK: "I can't do that Ma'am because I don't have a shirt under my jacket."

Needless to say, Tracey was embarrassed to no end. I was killing myself laughing when I heard the story, and now we have to:
a) be very careful of the instructions we give MacKenzie so that there is little room for misinterpretation; and
b) check her before she leaves the house to make sure she is wearing all needed clothing (and we are not to assume anything!).

Another funny story for the archives!

No comments: