Sunday, February 19, 2006

Thoughts on SuperBowl XL

SuperBowl XL happened two weeks ago. I have meant to blog my thoughts on that game since then.

The game was neither won nor lost by the teams on the field. This is another contest decided by the officials. I am particularly focusing on two plays: a touchdown denied to Seattle and one given to Pittsburgh. In neither case was the player's ability really a major factor. The officials broke one valid TD and made one happen.

Let me say that I am more a Steelers fan than a Seahawks fan -- I spent lots of time in Pittsburgh and love that city. I also have many friends from Pittsburgh that are life-long fans of the Steelers. But I completely disagree with the official calls that tipped the balance of the game so far in favor of one team. I may be wrong on this (I have been told I am) but that is the way it looked to me.

This SuperBowl reminded me of a question that popped into my head several years ago: are these games "fixed"? Sometimes it just seems that way. I hate thinking that this could be true. But then I look at professional wrestling and I realize that it is very possible indeed! Several people had mentioned to me in the last few days that the Olympics seem to favor some teams or athletes. Are these competitions fixed? Are other professional sports rigged to guarantee an outcome? I am certainly a cynic and skeptic of the authenticity of things I watch on TV.

No comments: