Sunday, January 08, 2006

Gentle Waking

I have developed a "wake up" technique with my kids that really works wonders and I wanted to share it with everyone. It is a method derived from something I read on the Net. It goes something like this:

- I turn a light outside their room to bring dim illumination
- I begin by whispering a "wake up" song that the kids and I invented. In essence, it has their names in it and lots of happy words to start the day.
- I raise my voice a little bit at a time until they begin to wake up. Sometimes I walk out and come back five minutes later to give them a chance to come out of deep sleep.
- If they resist waking up, we play "tickle monster" and "earthquake monster" games. That usually gets them giggling and laughing.

Most of the times we end up in a big "wake-up hug" that fills my heart with incredible joy. I cannot think of a better way to start a day than with hugs and laughter with the kids!

No comments: