Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The biggest waste of all

Copyright -- what a waste of time and effort! I generally do not copyright any work I do for free. I do not believe in that type of system. The work I do for many organizations is given freely so that anyone can use it.

I understand that some people have taken advantage of the knowledge base assembled by others and have made money from it. In the grand scheme of things I say "good for them!" They found a way to provide a service that perhaps others could not.

Knowledge and information cannot be contained by the jail bars of obsolete laws; this is especially true in our digital world in which we are surrounded by technological marvels that allow us to capture and duplicate and transform and improve nearly any type of information. DMR protection? It is bypassed, trampled on, and laughed at by hackers the world over! We simply cannot incarcerate knowledge, be it a movie, a song, a document, a presentation, a website or a program.

I believe our world society spends too much time, money, and effort trying to protect that which cannot be protected; information is meant to be shared not locked away. We should help each other grow by freely sharing our knowledge. Let knowledge be free and be owned by everyone and by no one at all.

No comments: