Sunday, May 18, 2008

Where is the Honda Civic 1300 FE?

This morning's local paper has an article about the need for high mileage vehicles:

The State | 05/18/2008 | U.S. pushing automakers to increase gas mileage

Which makes me ask, as I have in the past: where are the vehicles, like the Honda Civic 1300 FE, that brought true fuel economy while giving us good performance?

Back in 1984 I purchased a brand-new Honda Civic 1300 FE (my first ever brand-new vehicle) for the great price of $5,800. The car was a dream in every aspect for a just out of college young man that needed a reliable ride. I loved that car! One of its many great features was its gas mileage. I have to warn you, the following figures are not an exaggeration.
  • City mileage exceeded 45 MPG.
  • Highway mileage was above 60 MPG.
So, where are the vehicles like my 1300FE? Why are we being sold on the idea that 35 MPG is such a great deal?

Could it be the greed of those that benefit from higher gasoline profits?

Honestly, the 50+ MPG cars were needed in the market three years ago. By the time car makers bring us vehicles like the 1300FE gas prices will be over $6 per gallon.

No comments: