Saturday, October 20, 2007

One More on Perspectives

And since I am on a roll on perspectives, let me do yet one more. This time I will comment on recent news that we will have the opportunity (sometime around 2050) to have RoboPartners, artificial intelligence creations that will fulfill that most basic of human needs: companionship. I can really see this happening -- sadly, I must add. For many, the "single" life is just unacceptable, but the dating process is daunting and unpleasant. For example, it took me a very long time to find the love of my life; I was 37 then [already considered mildly old to still be single (unless you are a rich socialite)]. Just ten years later I lost her to breast cancer. For me, the prospect of dating again is simply unthinkable at this point. Between family and professional responsibilities there is hardly enough time (much less energy) for dating. So what would be wrong with a RoboPartner? Perhaps nothing … perhaps everything. If I had chosen such at 37, I would probably not have the infinite pleasures of being a husband and a parent, nor the immense pain of being a widower. But isn't that what a human experience is all about, having all types of events? Or will we have a new generation of people that may not want to parent and prefer a fairly even ride without the ups and downs that come when living with another person? I certainly can see it happening -- sad as it maybe seem today.

No comments: