Saturday, July 26, 2008

I will miss Randy Pausch

I will miss Randy Pausch. The Carnegie Mellon Computer Science professor who shook the world with his Last Lecture speech, passed away yesterday at the age of 47. Randy was a fighter, like many other cancer patients (such as my wife), and beat the time odds by many months but, far more importantly, by many meaningful events, many private, some very public. Randy's legacy goes beyond The Last Lecure. He was an innovator in ways most of us never knew. He leaves behind a great teaching tool called Alice, which is a great way for young people to learn how to program computers in a fun way. A spin-off project, Storytelling Alice, is available for younger students. As a computer programmer, I am in awe of Randy's accomplishments. As a person, I am in awe of his spirit.

No comments: