Saturday, April 07, 2007

The State of Cyberland

Things are getting bad in cyberland -- really bad. Maybe they have been really bad for sometime and I just have not experienced it personally. This week I received an email from what appeared to be trusted source. The content of the email looked legitimate and even mentioned a trusted person as a point of contact. It asked to go to a web site and gave a URL. I looked a the email several times and wondered if it was safe. Then I clicked on the link. You can probably guess by now what happened. Yes, I received a warning that the link was trying to lunch an EXE. Fortunately my system is setup such that little damage will occur automatically. For example, all my email is converted to Plain Text automatically. I have hardware and software firewalls. Scripts are not allowed to run automatically. I use Firefox instead of IE. I manually patch my system every month. I update my virus scanner everyday. I run anti-spyware weekly. And now I have added a keylooger shield. But what about the millions of Windows users that are not as experienced and careful? No wonder we have so much Malware hitting the streets of cyberland and damaging so many lives. Please be extra careful folks!

No comments: