Monday, April 03, 2006

Lessons from Mowing

One of the nice things about growing older (not old, but older) is that you tend to learn valuable lessons even from seemingly mundane tasks. Saturday was the first time I actually tried to mow our backyard. A few days earlier I had tried to start our mower, but it refused to crank up. So Saturday I asked our neighbor if I could borrow theirs while I took mine to the repair shop. When I got back to our yard, I looked at our mower and decided to try to start it again. This time I sprayed a little WD40 in some areas that may need lubrication and tried to start it. After trying several times the machine fired up. Lesson #1 for the day: don't give up so easily. I realized that I give up on mechanical problems a lot easier than I give up on computer problems. Why? Is it lack of knowledge and understanding? Perhaps so. I decided then that, since I will be using small engines (mowers, weed eaters, etc.) for as long as I can see in the future, I will enroll in some sort of course to learn to work on them. I may not be able to fix every problem (some situations require special tools that would not make sense to buy) but I will learn to handle the smaller tasks (such as fixing the pull rope that starts my mower).

As I started mowing I realized that my usual mowing pattern was not going to work -- some portions of the lawn were too tall for my mower. I quickly changed to a different pattern rather than forcing the issue. Lesson #2: be flexible and observe for the need to change.

Mowing progressed slowly but surely, and I found myself enjoying more and more the nicer lawn I was seeing. I finished mowing in what seemed no time at all. Lesson #3: learn to enjoy the process as well as the end result.

And those are the lessons I learned from my first mowing session of 2006. :-)

No comments: