Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another first

Yesterday, I began training for my first ever 5K race. I never imagined I would attempt something like this. Certainly, as of late last year I could barely finish the evening without collapsing on the couch and falling asleep. Now, I am exercising daily, watching what I eat, and feeling great!

I started the Couch-to-5K (C25K) program. Yesterday's session was unorthodox because I did not want to look at a stop watch to see when I needed to switch from brisk walk to jog, so I counted blocks. Looking back I realize that it was not necessarily the best way to do it, but I got through it and that was important.

On my Couch-To-5K SparkPeople group I read about free podcasts that will help you time the intervals. The first one I found was from DJ Steve at djsteveboy. These are awesome mixes! I walked to Day 1 today just to get used to the system. I love it! The site also has other running programs that bring you to 8K and 10K.

I also found another set of free podcasts at Podcasts for Running. I am listening to Day 1 while writing this blog. This is a good set. I like Robert's approach because he talks you through the changes rather than the "beep" used by Steve. But both of them are awesome and free -- what more can we ask for?

Thank you to Steve and Robert for providing these free MP3s for all of us that are training to be healthier and fit. I am grateful for their hard work and willingness to give these great music files to all of us.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: