Saturday, September 22, 2007

Is It Illegal?

Is it illegal? Really? Hmmmm ... interesting! I am referring to blocking ads on web pages -- illegal? There is an article in news.com that indicates there is a new legal battle brewing with the aim of forcing content down our throats. The article indicates that websites that depend on advertisements for revenue think it is illegal for ads to be blocked. I strongly oppose any content being pushed to my machine without my express consent. Just because someone paid for the ad does not mean I have to watch it or run it on my computer. This is similar to forcing us to look at every billboard on the road just because we are driving on it and someone paid for the billboard! Or forcing us to read every single classified ad in the newspaper because someone paid for it and we are interested in the news. At least with TV we can change channels, mute the receiver or get up and do something else during commercials. But when we access a website we only have one choice to avoid unwanted content: block it. The same technology that is being used to force ads on us is being used to protect us from this invasion -- it only seems fair to me! Web advertisers may just be hurting themselves if they support legal action that forces this issue and prevents blocking of ads -- would you visit a website that forces you to do anything? Would they not then become part of the malware family in that they would be invading people's machines with unwanted code? Personally, I will not support any enterprise that tries to force me into something. I always have a choice and will make it well known -- will you?

No comments: